Sunday 21 January 2018
- Tale of two sport heroes: Middle-class boy from Yorkshire hailed as the new Andy Murray and the (not-so-squeaky clean) footballer set to earn £600,000 A WEEK!
- The Latest: TV meteorologist behind The Weather Channel dies
- This Is Us! Mackenzie Hancsicsak looks lovely in florals as she joins her young co-stars at the SAG Awards
- A $64 toner, a shampoo once a week and TOOTH PASTE to banish acne: Victoria's Secret model Bridget Malcolm, 26, shares her VERY simple beauty tips
- Philadelphia Energy Solutions to file for bankruptcy -memo
- Instant karma or dangerous stunt by police? Driver is pulled over just moments after overtaking a car on the inside lane - but viewers slam highway patrol officer for 'trying to be a hero'
- Pretty as a petal! Kristen Bell oozes movie star glamour in floral dress as she arrives to host the SAG Awards
- 'Our relationship was a rollercoaster': Trisha Goddard reveals she SPLIT from husband Peter Gianfrancesco in 2017 after 20 years of marriage... and 'finally feels sexy again after finding new love'
- James Norton's favourite co-star... his father! BBC's McMafia becomes the latest of the actor's shows to feature a cameo by his retired dad
- Cagliari 1-2 AC Milan: Franck Kessie inspires comeback victory with quick-fire double
- 'Did she say YES?': Fans speculate Myer Ambassador Kris Smith has PROPOSED to his personal trainer girlfriend of just two months Sarah Boulazeris
- Impact of the U.S. government shutdown
- Boris Johnson hits out at business group after it urges Britain to stay in the customs union with the EU after Brexit
- Chile praises China's 'constructive role' at Latin American forum
- Lord Mandelson's secret vow to help Brussels in Brexit talks: Labour peer said he was 'deeply committed' to the EU in letter to chief negotiator
- Stranger Things' Natalia Dyer dons celestial Dior ball gown and joins cast at SAG Awards... after 21st birthday
- Burglar, 24, who broke into a family house ‘to see how other people live’ then strangled the wife unconscious when she found him sitting on her bed is jailed for six years
- Brady leads Patriots back to Super Bowl, top Jaguars 24-20
- Longstanding Victorian Greens MP to retire
- Construction magnate at centre of $500million Serbian drug bust went bankrupt and owed $11.5million when he was arrested - as it's revealed his lawyer is fighting to bring them home
- Still going strong! Ted Danson, 70, and beloved wife Mary Steenburgen, 64, cuddle up on the SAGs red carpet after 22 years of marriage
- Manchester United defender Chris Smalling praises Jose Mourinho for stabilising their defence after recording 14th clean sheet at Burnley
- 'I obviously support my family': Alison Brie defends brother-in-law James Franco and says sexual harassment claims against him aren't 'fully accurate'
- Revealed: Police investigate TWO HUNDRED primary school pupils over nude selfies
- Rocker Courtney Love, 53, stuns in scarlet trouser suit before slipping into Gothic-inspired satin dress at two events during Paris Fashion Week
- PICTURED: Disgraced Dance Moms star Abby Lee Miller shows off her 100lb weight loss in prison as she prepares for early release
- Rocking her killer style! Suki Waterhouse stuns in a dramatic belted coat after rocking zebra-print trousers during the release of Assassination Nation at Sundance Film Festival
- I won £10,000 playing the Daily Mail's Lucky Squares! Retired police worker Peter is first person to win new game
- 'We're turning off our phones': Sam Frost gears up for her season debut on Home and Away but reveals why she and her friends WON'T be tuning in
- Seven in ten say social media giants such as Twitter and Facebook are falling to tackle spread of extremist material and bullying on their sites
- Government's chief medical officer admits banning over the counter codeine products could force sufferers to seek illegal drugs
- Stranded man rescued from snowdrift
- Formula for rail fare rises 'must change': Treasury urges ministers to stop using inflation index to work out annual increases
- Aberdeen midfielder Kenny McLean set to seal £150,000 Norwich move but Scotland international will return to Dons on loan for rest of the season
- The 'East End Eton' sends 22 of its pupils to Oxbridge: State academy set up six years ago is rivalling UK's top private schools for university places
- Three women are arrested for 'tampering with evidence and protecting Arizona serial killer, 35, who murdered NINE people in three weeks'
- High-ranking U.S. Senate Republican says he is hopeful federal shutdown to end
- Not Lovin' it: How McDonald's are charging more for their products in different suburbs - and where to find the cheapest food
- Migrant business owners help drive economy
- No Texas probes involving California torture suspects
- 'She knows all of Australia will be watching her, waiting for any slip-up': Former Today show host Lisa Wilkinson is 'incredibly nervous' ahead of her debut on The Project
- 'It's like a bloodbath': Up to 16 passengers are injured as a train derails after smashing into a barricade at '50 to 70kmh' in major incident at Sydney's Richmond station
- The jolly hockey sticks girl (and school sweetheart) marrying Ed Sheeran: How the awkward-looking boy with a mop of orange hair fell for the pretty brunette in the year below
- Tom Brady sends New England Patriots into Super Bowl LII with inspirational comeback vs Jacksonville Jaguars
- Patriots rally from 10 down to top Jags and win AFC title
- Barca's second-half stamina key to big lead in La Liga
- Clarkson helps Lakers roll past Knicks
- Mark Allen wins his maiden Masters title after overcoming a spirited Kyren Wilson at Alexandra Palace
- 70 Americans have been killed by flu every week: CDC figures reveal shocking toll of outbreak across the nation
- 'You are in for it!' Evan Rachel Wood opens up about Westworld's second season at Toronto Film Festival
- Lively Rita Ora flashes major cleavage in racy unzipped jumpsuit... after wowing in sexy thigh-skimming dress as she sizzles in two red hot looks during Paris Fashion Week Men's
- Family-film Jumanji continues to top box office for third week-in-a-row earning a cool $20million, with 12 Strong debuting at $16.5million
- 'She seems very nice!' Donna Air offers her verdict on Meghan Markle after meeting at Pippa Middleton's wedding... and reveals she's appearing on Dancing on Ice 'to set a good example' for her daughter
- The Latest: Stars mingle and dance at SAG Awards after-party
- 'The best scene partner a brother ever had!' Sterling K Brown praises wife Ryan Michelle Bathe as emotional This Is US star accepts historic SAG Award
- U.S. stock index futures slip after government shutdown continues
- Pope ends Latin American trip with warning about political corruption
- Pictured: Amy Schumer makes rare appearance with handsome farmer beau Chris Fischer as they head to SNL in NYC
- The grocery store where you NEVER have to wait in line: Amazon opens checkout-free supermarket where customers just walk out as cameras track what they buy
- Bourke St memorial to be a 'difficult' day
- 'He's in constant agony': Molly Meldrum is 'struggling to stay upbeat' following crippling back pain caused by three serious falls
- Paw-sitively perplexed pooches react hilariously to having to wear booties to go out into the snow
- Stoke boss Paul Lambert insists he has 'no intention' of letting Peter Crouch go as Chelsea consider shock loan move for veteran forward
- Bond futures prices ease as U.S. government shutdown continues
- West Ham reject £12m Swansea City bid for Andre Ayew with David Moyes reluctant to weaken attacking options
- Defence cuts leave Britain vulnerable to an attack from Putin: Head of the Army warns of dangers of UK failing to 'keep up' with Russia's military strength
- From yoga sessions to unusual beauty treatments: Bachelorette Sophie Monk, 38, reveals the secrets to her incredible figure - and the trick that stops her eating unhealthy snacks
- Nigeria's central bank says won't hold interest rate meeting, rate to be held at 14 pct
- Facebook to open digital training hubs in Europe
- Women march in Las Vegas, another day of protest
- Skipper staying postive despite ODI woes
- Aussies need urgent pay rises: ACTU
- Police appeal to identify NSW pedestrian
- I Feel Love! Newly single Louise Redknapp sports chic slogan sweater as she moves on from her quickie divorce by filming new fashion video blog
- Britain accused as Kenyan children grazing livestock killed by explosive device
- Japan manufacturers' mood jumps to 11-year high - Reuters Tankan
- Ski lift: North Korea may capitalise on joint Olympics training visit
- Northampton Saints head coach Alan Gaffney backs Harry Mallinder to shine at centre after enduring tough fly-half gig against Saracens
- 'New babies!' Chelsea Handler adopts two new rescue dogs after her beloved pets pass away
- Concerns raised for Manus detainee
- Stephen Hendry insists Judd Trump needs to get a grip after losing Masters semi-final: ‘He has got to go away and think about the shots that cost him'
- Tess Holliday's husband Nick shares picture of his wife totally NUDE to make a statement about respecting women 'whether they are completely naked or covered head to toe'
- U.S. hedge fund Tiger Global has invested more than $1 bln in Barclays -FT
- Bristol is rocked by EIGHTH university 'suicide' in 18 months as talented Canadian law student 'takes his own life during holidays'
- Liverpool star Daniel Sturridge wants Sevilla loan move as he looks to kick-start his career in La Liga
- BC-SOC--French Standings
- Male CBB housemates accused of ageism as they nominate Barrie and Widdecombe
- Eden Hazard is the biggest weapon in Chelsea’s armoury, the little maestro will leave a huge hole when he leaves
- Swansea vs Liverpool: Swans boss Carlos Carvalhal believes Reds have weaknesses while Jurgen Klopp backs Sadio Mane to shine
- Ex-Mexican national soccer star joins leftist Morena party
- Mark Allen overcomes Kyren Wilson to claim maiden Masters title
- Real Betis v Barcelona - story of the match
- Kung-fu criminal: Fishing store posts hilarious CCTV footage of thief fighting imaginary person - before 'stuffing his shirt with stolen goods and running out the door'
- Women's March efforts continue with activists flocking to Las Vegas Sunday to kick off new national Power to the Polls campaign aimed at swing states
- Reports: Vrabel targeting Ohio State's Day as OC
- Drug smuggler caught with $330,000 worth of meth strapped to his testicles as he tried to board a flight from Sydney to pay off debts
- 'She's been messaging him again': Dua Lipa 'splits' with musician boyfriend Paul Klein after five months... and is 'already back in contact with model ex Isaac Carew'
- Celebrity Big Brother: 'I'm getting turned on!' Dad-of-nine Ginuwine, 47, gives Ashley James, 30, a steamy massage... after claiming girls raised by single mums grow up to be 'freaks'
- Chelsea star Eden Hazard insists his team do not need another striker after Blues run rampant against Brighton
- SA commits more for regional development
- West Ham manager David Moyes says Javier Hernandez will get a chance to win him over after Bournemouth strike
- The moment Nick Kyrgios won back Australia’s heart: Tennis star shares a touching embrace with Gregor Dimitrov and tells him to ‘believe in himself’ after fourth-round loss
- Depay scores stunning late winner as Lyon beat 10-man PSG
- Pep Guardiola impressed by Manchester City character
- Williams wary of Everton thinking they are safe from relegation
- Electric cars set as next shock for MPs
- Smalling hails Mourinho effect as United keep it tight at the back
- West Brom striker Salomon Rondon to visit stricken James McCarthy in hospital after collision that left Everton midfielder with double broken leg
- What's wrong with this picture? Kiki Morris' latest social media snaps feature her VERY trim legs... but is this the result of Photoshop?
- Everton spent £239million on new talent in 12 months... and they’re still being booed off!
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Women's Doubles Results
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Men's Doubles Seeds Progress
- Arsene Wenger says he 'cannot understand anybody wanting to leave Arsenal' with Alexis Sanchez set to complete Manchester United move
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Women's Singles Results
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Men's Singles Seeds Progress
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Women's Doubles Seeds Progress
- Sparkle is the new black! Halle Berry shimmers in a sequined gown while Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman and Allison Williams shine too as color returns to the red carpet at the Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Men's Doubles Results
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Women's Singles Seeds Progress
- Grand Slam, Australian Open Men's Singles Results
- Champions Cup rugby is dazzling this season... there is no shame in the struggle of Aviva Premiership clubs
- 'I'm going free range!' Studio 10 host Jessica Rowe vows to DRASTICALLY cut her mobile phone usage admitting her obsession was beginning to affect her role as a mother
- Abbas to ask EU to recognise Palestinian state: minister
- George Weah was world footballer of the year, Arsene Wenger is his mentor and he played for Chelsea... but now he will become president of Liberia!
- The jig is up! Jarrod Woodgate and Keira Maguire busted cuddling up at Portsea Polo and desperately hiding from the cameras... as they struggle to keep romance under wraps before Bachelor In Paradise debut
- 'I used to get quite upset about my appearance': MAFS star Alycia Galbraith reveals she lost over 30 kilos to become a TV bride...after admitting she's had her vows 'written for years'
- After sacking Marco Silva, let's hope Watford's owners the Pozzo family get what they deserve
- Tale of two Britains as north shivers and south west floods - but respite looms
- Patriots lose Gronkowski to first-half injury
- Lyon trim PSG's Ligue 1 lead with 2-1 win
- A friend in beads: Aid Minister Penny Mordaunt embraces local culture during visit to vulnerable communities in Kenya
- Fun day at the farmer's market! Kate Mara cuddles up to husband Jamie Bell as they look after a friend's toddlers
- France´s Le Drian plans March trip to Iran after Trump ultimatum on nuclear deal
- ON THE ROAD: Football rallies round Hartlepool United, who live to fight another day at Victoria Park
- Governor of New York reopens the Statue of Liberty and blasts Washington for 'letting it go dark' in the government shutdown
- Messi, Suarez score twice as Barcelona extends league lead
- Alexis Sanchez has gone from humble beginnings to earning £600,000-a-week at Manchester United... here are 10 things you don't know about him
- 'I thought we were in love': Ex-girlfriend of Married At First Sight's Sean Thomsen says she was left STUNNED upon finding out he applied for the show
- Napoli extend Serie A lead after beating Atalanta
- Missing Sullivans star Susan Hannaford FOUND alive and well in Beverly Hills and living in a mansion... after vanishing without a trace five years ago when her abandoned Sydney home was sold by the bank
- 'It sure ain't no s***hole!': Inside a raucous Mar-a-Lago fundraiser featuring cheeseburger sliders, Dixieland tunes, a cardboard Trump cutout and a fiery Judge Jeanine Pirro
- Making America horny again! Moment porn star Stormy Daniels cashes in on her five minutes of fame with a strip tease on the anniversary of Trump's inauguration
- Watt, Olsen, Watson named Man of the Year finalists
- Six stars in top form for the Six Nations, including England's Sam Simmonds and Huw Jones of Scotland
- 'The babies are healthy and they're growing': Father-of-four reveals the challenges of raising triplets after their mum tragically dies in childbirth
- 'He's just a great normal kid having some fun with his dad': Simone Callahan SLAMS reports she's 'worried' ex-Shane Warne is 'encouraging' son Jackson to gamble after attending poker championship
- Terrifying scenes in busy midtown Manhattan as innocent bystanders including a tourist are shot outside a liquor store
- The Latest: US government shutdown prompts state to step in
- Barcelona blitz Betis to move 11 points clear at top
- Stock-focused hedge funds post biggest gains among top performers
- Lue: No lineup changes for Cavs after blowout loss
- Dancing on Ice: 'From the waist up you're Travolta, from the waist down you're revolting!' Jason Gardiner SLAMS Kem Cetinay's disco-themed performance
- Mexico senator quits party to join leftist presidential frontrunner
- U.S. hedge fund Tiger Global has invested more than $1 bln in Barclays - FT
- Alexis Sanchez seen in a Manchester United shirt as he poses for official photographs after sealing mega deal
- Family portrait that says: Baby's here! Prince Philip's godson and his wife announce their first born's birth with an art work
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle WON'T invite 'good friend' Obama to the royal wedding in a bid to avoid a 'diplomatic row' over snub to Donald Trump
- Left for dead: Six week-old kittens found shoved into a plastic bag and thrown on the tracks at a Sydney train station
- Police officer will NOT be prosecuted over death of 20-year-old black man after he was arrested in case that sparked riots across London
- Going undercover! Priyanka Chopra bundles up in camo jeans as she braves the icy weather at Sundance
- 'They are taking it very slowly': Naomi Campbell, 47, is 'secretly dating' rapper Skepta, 35, after getting VERY close at swanky Paris Fashion Week bashes
- Young hero risks his life by jumping into Melbourne's Yarra River late at night to help a man who fell into the water after suffering a 'heart attack'
- It's Airbnb-izarre! Britain's most bonkers new B&B locations from an upside down boat to a former bookshop and a private jet
- 'The two scariest words in the English language: POOL PARTY!' Samantha Armytage strips down to her swimsuit for end of summer holidays bash
- In Women's March finale, Las Vegas rally kicks off voter drive
- Gronkowski leaves after blow to head before halftime
- Protesters demanding jobs clash with police in Tunisian town
- Terrifying footage shows drink driver who was more than double the legal limit careering across the road into the path of a bus
- Now that's a close-knit community! Army of knitting enthusiasts create woolly model of their village complete with a post office and the local pub
- Hands off! Margot Robbie's husband Tom Ackerley 'NOT HAPPY about his wife teaming up again with ladykiller' Leonardo DiCaprio for new movie after they starred in The Wolf Of Wall Street together
- City slickers! Ben Affleck and Lindsay Shookus don winter coats during romantic walk through New York
- 'I just feel invincible': Country singer Catherine Britt gives birth to a baby boy after battling breast cancer less than two years ago
- Australia captain Steve Smith denies suggestions of ball tampering during third ODI at the SCG against England
- White House says working toward deal to reopen U.S. government
- Lakers' Ball remains sidelined with knee injury
- Lyon 2-1 PSG: Memphis Depay score late winner as Kylian Mbappe is taken off on a stretcher after horror clash
- Wasps 26-7 Ulster: Aviva Premiership side gift rivals Saracens place in Champions Cup quarter-finals after thrashing Irishmen
- Claude Puel's stock is rising fast at classy Leicester after leading the former Premier League champions out of a relegation scrap into seventh
- Magic stun Celtics, Pacers stop Spurs
- Real Betis 0-5 Barcelona: Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez bag braces as Ernesto Valverde's men go 11 points clear at the top of La Liga
- Olympics-Snowboarding-American Kim enjoying the spotlight
- Nursery pays mother £4,300 after her two-year-old son was left with third-degree burns when he tipped a teacher's boiling cup of TEA on himself
- 'Jumanji' continues to stomp N. American box office competition
- 'I see karma on the horizon': RHOA star Kim Zolciak reacts to Kandi Burruss' denial that she hit on her as she poses in flirty bikini
- Ex-Guatemala president candidate charged in Odebrecht bribes
- He's in a hole lot of trouble! Burglar caught four years ago after winning a donut eating contest is arrested again - for breaking into a Dunkin' Donuts!
- `Finally!´ Call The Midwife fans welcome show´s first West Indian nurse
- New England Patriots book their place at Super Bowl LII as Tom Brady inspires ANOTHER fourth quarter comeback - and Gisele's reaction is priceless!
- 'I have a really good feeling about it': Stanley Johnson reveals he will be hosting a TV show with unlikely pal Georgia Toffolo... after she confessed to crushing on him in the jungle
- Father-of-three says he feels 'trapped' living on one of the country's worst streets where yobs set off fireworks at houses, perform sex acts in public and defecate on his doorstep
- NASSER HUSSAIN: I would still keep one-day wonder Jos Buttler out of the England Test side
- Alexis Sanchez gets a preview of life under Jose Mourinho as Manchester United struggle past dogged Burnley
- From DIY homework stations to FIVE MINUTE bento lunchboxes: Clever parents share genius back to school tips to help make term one a breeze
- Ukip leader Henry Bolton clinging to job after no confidence vote
- 'They're pretty much a perfect match and he's ready to settle down': Tennis star Nick Kyrgios is 'on the verge' of proposing to Ajla Tomljanovic... after THAT London nightclub outing with two female friends
- Handball-Denmark, Spain edge towards Euro semis as Germany slip
- Cool Federer and happy Halep romp into quarters
- Bikini-clad Frankie Gaff teases a look at her assets and killer abs to take a dip in rooftop pool... after hinting at new romance with model Jon Hosking
- Manchester City pulled out of signing Alexis Sanchez knowing they are more attractive than United... it's his loss
- Heating up Park City! Elle Fanning glows as she attends I Think We're Alone Now premiere during the Sundance Film Festival
- Drivers rescued and homes evacuated as torrential rain sparks floods in west
- 'I get d**k pics sent to me every day': Busty MAFS star Davina Rankin reveals she's appearing on controversial show because guys just want to 'get into' her pants during dates
- The Latest: Cher tells marchers to use their voice and vote
- Fitness star Emily Skye, 33, reveals her struggles with the 'baby blues' - as she shares her amazing body transformation just ONE month after giving birth to daughter Mia
- NSW rail meeting continues into night
- Wall St Week Ahead-Where Netflix goes, Big Tech may follow, despite U.S. government shutdown
- Mattis heads to Asia to draw a contrast with assertive China
- Chelsea Manning claims she 'gatecrashed' a pro-Trump gala in Manhattan...but others say she was there to 'build bridges' between the right and the left
- Alexis Sanchez was born to play for Manchester United... he can handle the pressure that comes with the club
- 'Deport him': More than 17,000 people call for man to be kicked out of country after he cowardly hit a teenager in one-punch attack and then laughed outside of court when he escaped jail
- 'I NEED to stop it scarring!' Anguished Rebekah Vardy reveals painful red burn after a curling iron touched her wrist for 'less than a second'... after slamming cosmetic surgery claims
- Woods will be joined by Rahm, Rose, Matsuyama at Torrey Pines
- League Two verdict: Yeovil's Otis Khan to miss FA Cup tie against Manchester United after being sent off while Accrington keep up winning run after coming from behind to beat Port Vale
- Manchester United have pulled off a coup to sign Alexis Sanchez... he's the closest thing to a modern-day Ian Rush
- Championship weekend: Scott Hogan continues scoring form, Fulham record six-goal thrashing and a fan is arrested for urinating in QPR keeper's bottle
- Olympiakos beats Xanthi 3-0, keeps slim lead in Greek league
- Magic win for 3rd time in 20 games, beat Celtics 103-95
- 'We get you back tonight!' New Mum Portia Oduba shares rare glimpse of sweet son Roman as she posts loving tribute to husband Ore
- Dancing On Ice: 'When you go in to kiss but it doesn't go to plan!' Viewers are left in hysterics at Max Evans' awkward attempt at an affectionate farewell with host Holly Willoughby
- Manchester United forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic shows off stunning new tattoo that now covers his whole back
- More than 50,000 demonstrators take to the streets of Greek province of Macedonia to continue 25-year protest against the former Yugoslav nation 'taking their name'
- Villarreal among Liga clubs to sign Saudi Arabia players
- Konecny's quick OT goal lifts Flyers past Capitals
- Paloma Faith and Fay Ripley share touching childhood photos as part of Barnardo's urgent appeal for more foster carers
- California highway swamped by deadly mudslides reopens
- Crash which killed teenager to be investigated by Police Ombudsman
- How to dress like a grown up with Rebecca Lowthorpe: How the catwalk fell in love with the Queen
- EXCLUSIVE: Ivanka steps out of her Washington home looking chic in a French-inspired Breton top and cigarette pants as she and daughter Arabella load a box full of toys into the family car
- America must ‘rebuild trust and confidence’ in the Middle East after Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, Jordan’s King Abdullah tells Vice President Pence during meeting alongside Queen Rania
- Two in hospital after attempted Vic rescue
- Were officials TOLD to target Nick Kyrgios' serve? Bizarre technicality costs tennis star two crucial points during four-set thriller at the Australian Open
- Magic overcome Irving's 40 to win in Boston
- Justin Bieber's mom Pattie Mallette laments broken foot has 'definitely been on an adventure' while on tropical vacation in the Maldives
- Konecny's OT goal lifts Flyers past Capitals 2-1
- Second contestant eliminated from Dancing On Ice
- Statue of Liberty to reopen; shutdown keeps other parks, monuments closed
- Same-sex active-duty couple marries at West Point
- Dai Young wishes Saracens well after Wasps fall short
- Muller reaches century of Bundesliga goals against Werder Bremen
- League One Verdict: Bury caretaker managers Ryan Lowe and Ryan Kidd get off to a good start while Wigan continue their fine form at the top
- 'You haven't made any errors yet': The Today show's Karl Stefanovic appears to take a tongue-in-cheek dig at new co-host Georgie Gardner during her debut episode
- Kyle Edmund is firing on all cylinders... Yorkshire steel and Swedish fire help the British No 2 into the last eight
- Turkey gave US heads-up on Syria operation: Mattis
- Exeter City midfielder Lloyd James — One to Eleven: On playing with Adam Lallana at Southampton, idolising Ryan Giggs and facing Dimitar Berbatov
- Best books on loneliness: Author Patricia Nicol suggests novels to help with trickier times
- Weather Channel co-founder who called global warming a hoax dies at the age of 83
- 'He had a tremendous amount of passion': Parents of the Ivy League sophomore 'murdered by a white supremacist friend' pay tribute to their slain son
- Spain to seek Carles Puigdemont´s arrest if he visits Denmark
- Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island to reopen amid shutdown
- 'The next chapter has started': Kieran Alleyne QUITS 5 After Midnight to pursue a solo career... one month after 'being diagnosed with potentially fatal heart condition'
- Joined forever! Miley Cyrus and fiance Liam Hemsworth have MATCHING tattoos of famous Australian breakfast spread Vegemite
- My lightbulb moment: Beauty innovator Camilla Marcus-Dew on how spending time with her niece inspired her to launch The Soap Co.
- Kenya: Explosive kills 4 more children grazing livestock
- England's series win best yet: Morgan
- Nottingham Forest playmaker Ben Osborn praises manager Aitor Karanka and challenges his team-mates to play with consistency after Wolves win
- Cavs searching for answers after latest NBA setback
- The Latest: Foles, Eagles will be underdogs 1 more time
- Zidane reveals Ronaldo´s cut is not serious after Real hammer Deportivo
- Antony Cotton told to `Shush´ after he interrupts Dancing On Ice judges
- Javi Gracia replaces Marco Silva as Watford manager
- Pellegrino happier than compatriot Pochettino with draw
- Thumbs up: Tape, no gloves as Brady warms up for Jaguars
- Olympics-Snowboarding-White sees himself as favorite in Pyeongchang
- 'Please can someone... ANYONE... help me?' Chanelle Hayes shares desperate plea for advice as she posts pictures of mystery skin condition online
- Busty Holly Hagan makes for a VERY eye-popping display while flaunting washboard abs and ample behind... as rumoured footballer flame Jacob Blyth defends her over 'photoshop' claims
- Should the #MeToo movement be included in the school curriculum? Education minister leads calls for teachers to have 'frank' discussions about sexual harassment with kids
- 'I was terrified of reading aloud': Penny Lancaster reveals her shocking dyslexia diagnosis at age 46...as she thanks husband Rod Stewart for boosting her confidence
- Mesut Ozil takes the tube as Arsenal star becomes a tourist for the day
- Was whale killed by PLASTIC? Sea mammal’s body washes up on polluted Spanish beach amid locals’ fears it died after swallowing litter
- Ice hockey-Johannson, U.S. Olympic team general manager, dies at 53
- Mar-a-Lago Club diners ridicule Trump's restaurant for serving caviar with PLASTIC SPOONS and 'sad looking' little crackers - months after kitchens at the 'winter White House' were slammed for health violations
- Yemeni deaths due to diphtheria likely to rise amid blockade
- Vito finds room for improvement despite La Rochelle´s run to quarter-finals
- Everton boss Sam Allardyce admits back-to-basics approach has stopped working after West Brom draw: 'The boo at the end was well deserved... we have lost focus of the simple things'
- Cardiff boss Neil Warnock insists his side need a sense of 'devilment' to shock Manchester City in the FA Cup
- Title games: Brady vs. Bortles, then the matchup of backups
- Hockeyroos clinch series win over Spain
- Van Graan proud as Munster secure home quarter-final in Champions Cup
- Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez plays the realist as he claims it is now impossible to take on clubs like Manchester City
- Dressed up! Jennifer Garner dons grey trousers and black sweater for church services in LA... after ex Ben Affleck flies to NYC to see Lindsay Shookus
- Claire Danes looks lovely in leather slacks as she promotes new film A Kid Like Jake at Sundance Film Festival
- Why Marco got the Silva bullet: Watford boss had his head turned by Everton and was never the same again
- Illness not an excuse for sloppy Spurs, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Keira Knightley looks radiant as she poses for Studio Portraits at Sundance Film Festival... after saying she doesn't like to get 'raped' in her movies
- Shutdown continues: Political deadlock extends into a THIRD day as Democrats and Republicans fail to reach a deal and schedule new vote for noon today
- Cameron Cranley is the new Bachelor! Fan favourite 'will get a second chance at love in the next season... and there's a shock twist nobody was expecting'
- 'We hear he's a pretty funny guy': Harvard University club deems Paul Rudd the Hasty Pudding Man of the Year after Mila Kunis was named Woman of the Year last week
- Michelle O´Neill to stand for Sinn Fein deputy leadership
- 'They were less than impressed': Georgia Toffolo 'receives a stern ticking-off after arriving more than an hour late for her new hosting role on This Morning'
- Leeds manager Thomas Christiansen believes discipline issues are killing their season after third red card in as many matches
- The Eagles soar to the Super Bowl: Philadelphia trounce the Minnesota Vikings by more than 30 points in the NFC title game - and will face Brady and the New England Patriots next
- Spain to seek Catalan politician's arrest on Denmark visit
- Guatemala businessman, wanted on graft charges, seeks U.S. asylum
- Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino insists he is 'relaxed and calm' about rivals spending big in January despite being held to a draw at Southampton
- Mueller's 100th Bundesliga goal as Bayern gets 16-point lead
- British engineering firm fighting off hostile takeover bid announces surge in demand at its electric car arm
- I’ve got braces at 53, so I can smile for the first time in years!: Beauty editor reveals how healthy teeth can be the ultimate anti-ager
- Marco Silva failed at Watford because he was too ambitious for his own good... plus my team of the week
- Saracens to face Leinster for a place in Champions Cup semi-finals
- 'Love sharing my journey': Victoria's Secret model Romee Strijd flashes her chest and bottom as she hits 4M Instagram followers
- Bronzed Michelle Keegan oozes LA glamour in chic Seventies-style flares as she cosies up to husband Mark Wright during romantic lunch date
- 'He has exceptional talent and could do it': James Bond boss reveals Harry Styles 'could become the next 007'... as he praises Dunkirk appearance
- 7 die at Ethiopia's Epiphany in clashes with security forces
- Average US gas price jumps 4 cents to $2.58 for regular
- The three minute fix to conquer anxiety: It even helped ANNA MAXTED cope with awkward relatives at a family party
- Soccer-Lewandowski, Mueller double help Bayern beat Bremen, stretch lead
- VIP anti-ageing treatments you can now do at home: No waiting lists, No snooty beauty therapist, And a heck of a lot cheaper!
- Stoke City launch £3.25m bid for former Manchester United and Liverpool academy star Jack Harrison who is lighting up MLS with New York
- Teenaged robbers killed victim, 31, who jumped out of second floor window to escape them
- Browns interview Haley for offensive coordinator
- 6-NCAAB Results
- Watford announce Javi Gracia as new head coach after Marco Silva sacking
- Yes, you can kick your phone addiction: On average, we look at them 33 times a day, a fascinating new book tells you how to stop
- Undercover report on Polish neo-Nazis sparks investigation
- Paying the (Eva) Price! Corrie star Catherine Tyldesley is slapped with a parking ticket as she stops by dress designer with son Alfie ahead of NTAs
- 'Girls weekend!' Pregnant Chrissy Teigen flaunts growing bump in pink floral robe as fans speculate if social media post revealed baby's gender
- Leicester finish with a flourish but end Champions Cup campaign with a loss
- Appeals court to hear arguments on DC sniper's sentence
- Phillip Schofield in glitter is so wrong, say Dancing On Ice viewers
- PM to give $60m to save Great Barrier Reef
- Everton midfielder James McCarthy to undergo surgery on Monday
- Shopping centre bloodbath as two men are stabbed in front of horrified families before attacker flees the scene
- 'My Dreamy Dream': Khloe Kardashian has fun with Rob and Chyna's daughter ... after revealing her hair has gone curly due to pregnancy
- Soccer-Messi, Suarez lead Barca romp, Real crush Deportivo
- Debate vigorous as Rockwell town mulls Main Street changes
- Real Madrid v Deportivo La Coruna - Story of the match
- TRADER TIPS: City insiders say buy Virgin Money, but sell department store chain Debenhams
- DAILY BRIEFING: Reports suggest newspaper group Trinity Mirror on brink of a £130m takeover of Express and Star titles
- Predators sizing up Poundland as speculation mounts that its collapsing South African owner could be forced to sell it
- Pope warns Latin America about corruption, mentions Odebrecht
- With 25,339 murders in 2017, Mexico suffers record homicide tally
- Old Etonian boss of Dixons Carphone becomes latest executive to jump ship at ailing retailer
- 'You are one yummy mummy!': Svelte Holly Willoughby sends fans wild as she slips into dazzling sequin midi dress for disco edition of Dancing On Ice
- Second Turkish border town hit by 'missile fired from inside Syria' as clashes between the two countries escalate after Erdogan's forces attacked US-backed Kurdish militia
- Southampton v Tottenham - story of the match
- La Rochelle reach quarter-finals, Saracens sneak through
- Reasons, risks and consequences of Turkey's Syria operation
- Slimane named new Celine designer as Paris menswear wraps up
- Kane moves on to 99 Premier League goals but Spurs held at Southampton
- Sergio Garcia finds form ahead of Masters defence with emphatic five-shot victory at the Singapore Open
- Iconic party girl Kate Moss, 44, endorses a new self-help book that advises readers to AVOID alcohol and stay away from 'too many late nights'
- It began with a brutal diagnosis from her GP, now SARAH VINE reveals: How I lost two and a half stone — without starvation or surgery
- Russia's Lavrov says 'unilateral actions' by U.S. in Syria made Turkey furious - report
- Paedophile, 22, who abused boy, five, is found dead in his prison cell just weeks into his sentence
- Ruthless new leader of Zimbabwe being welcomed by global elite in Davos - despite links to decades of repression and genocide alongside predecessor Robert Mugabe
- Sky prepared to jettison Sky News in bid to get takeover by 21st Century Fox over finishing line
“Do your best every day”
Alex Jones, presenter of The One Show
“The best piece of advice which I try to live by was something my mum ingrained into me from a very young age, she said ‘do your best every day’ and I think if you live by that, you’re going to see results. As well, if you do your best and treat people like you want to be treated, that’s all you can do in life.
“Aberystwyth University gave me a fellowship last May and we did this workshop with these young people, and they were all asking what the secret was, and I told them there is no secret, its just perseverance and hard work, and trying your absolute best, and if that’s not enough, you’ve done all you can. There is no secret, it’s just that – put your head down and work hard.”
“You can never go back”
Actress and comedian Helen Lederer
“My father told me once ‘you can never go back’ and I think it was supposed to be advice about boyfriend trouble but it does make sense in other ways. It was calming, it allowed me to feel that it wasn’t just me who had problems and we all experience similar emotions which was empowering, and I have often referred to it. It means that what lies ahead is more important, not to dwell or be sad about the past.
“I try to learn from mistakes – but it’s usually one step forward, one step back. But that’s OK... I might get light bulb moments months after a tricky situation and see that I was wrong and that is OK, it’s somehow releasing!
“I have many rejections in my work life and the ability to move forward is essential, so one needs hope as well. The bad times don’t last and we just have to love the good times when they come. I do this more now I’m older.
“Have I passed the advice on? I’m not sure what I’ve passed on to my daughter. I am there for her though, as my father was for me in his all too short a life. It’s what you say and do when you are around that counts.
“Good advice is totally powerful – when people die their wisdom lives on.”
Helen will be appearing in WTF at St James Theatre, London on November 7 and 21
“If you sell yourself cheap then your art form becomes cheap”
Kiran Ratna, founder and artistic director of India Dance Wales
“I was once told ‘if you sell yourself cheap then your art form becomes cheap’ and it made me keen to be careful not to do too many ‘charity’ events, because many more will expect you to do it for nothing and will take advantage of you while they offer payments to others.
“I was given the advice by my dance guru, and I believe it gained the art form more respect. I didn’t realise how important those words were initially, but then I realised that when they were able to pay, dancers were being brought from London and paid because organisers felt that they must be better as their fees were higher.
“I believe it’s helped me because it means I didn’t allow people to take advantage of me or the art form. I’ve been careful to pass it on to the future generation of dancers, because I believe good advice is very powerful.”
“If you have a good idea don’t keep it to yourself”
Berwyn Rowlands, founder of The Iris Prize, Cardiff’s international gay and lesbian short film prize
“I think the key piece of advice I’ve tried to follow is to share. What I mean by that is if you have a good idea don’t keep if to yourself and protect it like some top secret, scared that somebody is going to run off with it. Share the idea with others and try to share with others who might know more than you. Also make sure that when you share that there is a clear purpose or role for that person or company to do.
“I’m always amazed how willing people are to help you if they like your project but crucially also have a sense of ownership too.
“Good ideas don’t always become reality but when you have a strong idea like the Iris Prize the success is even greater when you have an extended family which is global who have a strong sense of shared ownership.”
“If you don’t own your own restaurant by the time you are 28, you are a failure”
Bryan Webb, chef and proprietor at Michelin-starred Tyddyn Llan in Denbighshire
“I was highly motivated from the start, as my ambition was to own my own restaurant. Then Sonia Blech, one of the first females in the UK to hold a Michelin star told me when I worked for her that if you don’t own your own restaurant by the time you are 28, you are a failure. This isn’t necessarily true, it happens when the time is right, but it did spur me on. She and her husband, Neville, also impressed upon me the importance of keeping your head down and working hard, and not giving up in the face of setbacks. Persistence is important in this business.
“Colin Pressdee also told me I should buy Hilaire – the restaurant I ran in London – from the company that owned it. Buying Hilaire was a pivotal moment in my career, and if Colin hadn’t suggested that it would be an excellent move, it might not have happened. As my father died when I was 19, people like Franco Taruschio (formerly of the Walnut Tree) have been very important figures in my life too, and have provided guidance and an ideal to live up to.”
“Enjoy life today because you may not be here tomorrow”
Paralympic gold medal cyclist Mark Colbourne MBE
“From a family perspective, when my dad was alive, his attitude was to ensure that you enjoy life today because you may not be here tomorrow. That’s definitely something I live by and it’s helped me from am professional perspective, because if you have a dream in life, you should work and give it 100% and never give up. I was very lucky, having gone 40 years without having any accident and then breaking my back at the age of 40. They say life begins at 40 and it certainly did for me.
As an individual, I did change slightly through my accident, even though it gave me a better outlook on life, because the opportunity, what that brought to me and what I was able to achieve, brought me a chance to show the rest of the world what I can bring to people’s lives.
It’s just unfortunate that I had to break my back and go through hell and back, just to share that with the rest of the world. Before my accident, I suppose I was just a normal, average guy going about his work, but I’ve learned that if you have a dream, you should have the confidence in your ability as well as the guts and determination to step off the treadmill of life and try something different to see if it is what you’re searching for. Don’t be afraid to try something different.”
“Find out what you’re good at and keep doing it”
Jamie Donaldson, Welsh golfer and winner of the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship 2013
“It came from my mentor Dai (golf coach David Llewellyn) about six years ago. I was a promising golfer and I played well when I came on the professional scene but I got injured and lost my way a bit. About five years ago, I stripped my game back to the very basics of what I’m very good at and I just put the focus into making sure I continually did that and got better at it, so every year, that’s what I do. I know what I’m good at and I just work hard to make myself even better at that. It’s not about trying new things or being something you’re not, it’s about concentrating on what you know you’re good at and doing it, and that’s advice I’ve passed on to other people, like my manager John Fey.”
“Get the baby used to noise when she’s sleeping”
Michela Chiappa, TV chef and new mum
“My best advice was from my mum with regards to bringing up my newborn. These are a few pieces of advice she gave me which seem to have worked wonders for us. Newborns sleep a lot, so she told us to encourage the baby to sleep in our living space during the day, getting them used to noise whilst sleeping. This is brilliant as now Fiamma rarely gets disturbed by loud noises when sleeping. It helps when the postman knocks the front door after I’ve just put her to sleep. Mum also suggested that we make sure at night we change her surroundings to make sure she knows it’s bed time – for example, when we turn down the lights – whisper and don’t move her around too much. This has really helped her get to know when it’s bedtime and now she has started settling herself down when night approaches. It might not work for all babies but has really helped us.”
“Always work hard, because when you get that bit of luck, you’ll be ready to run with it”
Tenor Wynne Evans, star of the Go Compare ads
“My dad told me to always work hard, because when you get that bit of luck, you’ll be ready to run with it. I didn’t realise it was so important at the time. I thought he was just trying to get me to do my homework, but now I understand it.
“It’s really helped me, especially in recent years, and in particular when I started working for GoCompare.com and BBC Radio Wales. I’ve been able to draw on all of my experiences and really make the most of them. Somehow I’ve stuck with the advice. I believe that everyone gets a bit of luck in life. It just depends if you’re ready to go with it.
“Nowadays I do quite a few talks in schools and clubs as well as after-dinner speaking, and I always pass on this advice. Sometimes there is power in good advice, but it’s often many years on when it really makes sense.”
“It’s better to regret something that you have done than you haven’t done”
Eos Chater, violinist and arranger with Bond
“I think the best piece of advice I’ve been given is ‘it’s better to regret something that you have done than you haven’t done’. It’s better to go for things than to pass up opportunities and regret having missed it, because it might never come round again.
“It was my mum who said it to me first, and made me realise if you have the option of doing something that seemed like a massive thing to take on, it’s better to do it than pass it up.
I’m not naturally a risk taker, it’s like going to the fun fair – I’m terrified, but I make myself do things anyway.
Even now, with performing, I get really nervous and it’s just part of it all, you have to because otherwise, if you don’t do it, you’ll look like an idiot.
“You should be saying yes to things in opportunity terms – but obviously within that then being cautious of what you’re saying yes to as you don’t want to be doing loads of rubbish. It’s almost like ‘seize the day’, really, but it’s a bit more reflective than that. What would happen if you didn’t do it and that chance has gone, that ship has sailed.
“I think we see it within our group a bit; where we are offered things and we think about it being a long way, or being exhausted, but then it’s a good chance.
It happens with life experience as well, even if it seems like hard work at the time and you’re really not in the mood. Just think about how you’ll feel in five years, would you rather think, ‘I’ve done that, I’ve been there’ or whatever.
The answer is, more often than not, yes. Nobody knows how long you’re going to be around for.”
“Never stop learning”
Anand George, chef and owner of the Purple Poppadom, Welsh Curry House of the Year Award 2012
“The advice I learned from the great cooks like Prakasham, Anil who taught me in India, and beyond, is to never stop learning.
“I took this to heart as a young man from my earliest days in Kerala, South India, and throughout my development years; I would spend a year in each key region of Indian cuisine, learning from great tutors like Chef Gerard D’Souza, Chef Ramesh Chatturvedi and Chef Hemant Gokhake.
“I gained a full grounding both in the great traditions of Indian food and culture and their deep roots on my journey crucially how to manage people and a restaurant business.
“When I travelled to London and worked in leading restaurants such as La Porte Des Indes under Chef Meheranosh Modi, I continued to fine tune my thoughts for a new style of cuisine based on regional tradition, which today, seven years later has manifested in my creation of Nouvelle Indian Cuisine at Purple Poppadom.
“For me every day is a learning day, and fortunately as chefs we love to share our thoughts, techniques and new ingredients we have discovered so we are always learning and moving forward with new ideas.
“If you are not open to learning from others every day of your life then you will stand still and not achieve the extraordinary.
I hope that by the same token, I can help to develop my new junior chefs and teach them the joy of learning in their art, so that together we all become a stronger team.”
“Say yes to life”
Gillian Clarke, National Poet of Wales
“I can’t remember my crime, but I had been summoned to my head teacher’s study. She was Sister Bernardine, an inspirational teacher and a charismatic Head. I adored her. I stood, heart thumping, awaiting her wrath. She gazed at me sadly, and at last she said: ‘I am disappointed. I expected great things of you. You can waste the talent God gave you, or use it. Which is it to be? Off with you now, and live up to my hopes for you.’
“She did not punish me, but tempted me with praise. She offered me a choice, one I would be offered countless times over the years: to waste life, or to live it. Carpe diem, seize the day, make the most of every minute and say yes to life, has been my motto. Everything good that ever happened to me was the result of seizing the day, and taking the consequences.”
“Be brave and ignore the losses”
Hayley Parsons, founder and chief executive of Gocompare.com
“This short, simple and to-the-point piece of advice has worked so well for me because it’s become a sort of mantra. It’s easy to come up against difficulties, in business and in life, but by telling yourself to be brave, and remembering that setbacks are only ever temporary, it’s possible to overcome challenges and make the most of opportunities.
“This advice is particularly applicable when starting a business, which is about the most exciting, fulfilling yet nerve-racking thing you can do. As a business owner you’re responsible not only for your own livelihood, but the wealth and wellbeing of the people you employ, which is why it’s so important to persevere, hold your nerve and really go for it. In business, and particularly in the early days, this can mean turning a blind eye to any losses you sustain and quickly recovering from mistakes you may make.
“As long as you’re confident that you’re going in the right direction your losses will only be short term, and it can be far more dangerous to focus your energy on breaking even when you should be breaking new ground.”
“Some people will like what you do and some people won’t”
Sophie Evans, singer and actress
“My mother always told me to remember ‘some people will like what you do and some people won’t’. It’s been really helpful throughout my life and career, because remembering that you can’t please everyone allows me to be able to deal with being told that I’m not right for a certain role or part. I guess it really just allows me to ‘get knocked down, but get back up again’.”
“Ensure you offer brand consistency”
Laura Tenison MBE Founder and MD of JoJo Maman Bebe
“The best piece of business advice I’ve received is to ensure you offer brand consistency through every which channel. In our case, we’re a multi-channel retailer, so it’s absolutely vital that if you go to our website, visit one of our stores or look at our catalogue or trade collection, you know straight away that you’re dealing with JoJo.
“It was another person in the industry who told me that it wasn’t immediately 100% apparent that we were one company, and I looked at it with new eyes, the eyes of the consumer. I now try to make it absolutely certain, and since then I’ve remained brand custodian, so every new bit of design, whether it’s a new carrier bag, a logo on the side of a van or whatever, I am absolutely adamant that it has to be passed through me or the head of graphics because brand consistency is so important.”
“If you dare not, you don’t”
Non Evans, former international at rugby, judo, wrestling and weightlifting and sports broadcaster
“There was one person I remember told me, ‘if you dare not, you don’t’. It was Richard Mullen, he was a lecturer at UWIC in Cardiff. It was judo he was referring to at the time. I’d started playing rugby, but I was only 18, and when I used to train with judo in the club, I used to be able to beat anyone. You could put anyone in front of me and nobody could get near me, but in the competition, I just wouldn’t do the things that I did in training.
“I would never take risks with techniques because I was being cagey when I was fighting because of fear of losing. I was a different person in the judo competition than I was when I was in a club, and he said, ‘you can’t do that, you have to go for it – if you dare not, you don’t’. And I remember that to this day. Then I went on to win two Commonwealth silver medals – I lost in the final, but that wasn’t because I didn’t try, I just got beaten. It was him telling me that if I wasn’t afraid take a risk and try things, who knows where I could get to.
“In life, sometimes you have to take a risk to move forward and be the best. I do a lot of motivational speaking and go into schools now, and I repeat it there.”
“Work well. Be happy”
Sally El Hosaini, writer/director of award-winning film My Brother The Devil
“Hal Hartley wrote ‘Work well. Be happy’ on a card for me. He’s an award-winning independent American filmmaker based in NY.
It meant a lot to me as I am a HUGE fan of his work. I love his quirky writing and films.
“It’s such a simple, straightforward piece of advice that it reminds me not to overcomplicate things in life. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. It’s something I always strive for in my writing and directing.
“Life has a way of becoming over complicated. His advice keeps me grounded and focused on priorities, so it’s framed and on my desk.”
“Be better tomorrow than you were today”
James Sommerin, Michelin-starred chef
“It’s quite simple – ‘be better tomorrow than you were today’, but more so, you’re only as good as the service you’re in, as in the service time that you’re in at the moment, which is a restaurant term. Another one which I champion, especially as being head chef and now I’m going on to open my own place in Penarth is “stand on the shoulders of giants”.
“I’m a very lucky person, because I get to do that and you can’t do it on your own. Without those people, I wouldn’t be where I am today, so it’s celebrating those who are benefiting you in the long run. Unfortunately in the catering trade I think humility is a very sought-after thing – too many chefs think they’re the be-all and end-all and they’re not.
“I always put cooking in the context that I’m here to enhance somebody’s evening. It’s not about me and what I’m doing – it is to an extent, you might be coming for our food, but primarily you’re coming to have a really nice evening out. I’m just one person to make a good evening successful. My biggest mentor as far as my career is concerned is a chap called Richard Wright, a head chef who I used to work under in Scotland. He made sure that I knew my place but how appreciated we were as well, so it was very important to have that bond with your team.”
“Always double check your work”
Sian Lloyd, BBC news journalist and presenter of Crimewatch Roadshow
“When I was in school, my mother told me ‘always double check your work’. I always wanted to be the first to finish a test or exam quickly but didn’t realise that getting it right was more important! I remember I was amazed to see how my marks improved. By reading my work through I instantly spotted mistakes.
“I still use the advice today re-reading news scripts that I’ve written, seeing how they can be improved. I’ll tell my son when it comes time for him to sit tests in school. We can learn a lot from people with experience.”